Friday, May 21, 2010

A Day on the Water-Elegant Island Living May 2009

A Day on the Water

I grew up around water…the non-salty kind. Our family were sailors, on sailboats. I spent hours on Lake Lanier perfecting my skills. My sister, Kristin and I were my fathers’ crew. I was never in a boat under at least 20’ long. I felt safe with all of the fiberglass protecting me from the water.

I can be a little claustrophobic, so I was a little nervous about being in a small boat with a large paddle and cold water all around me. We have a deck boat that we keep on the Hampton River, so I was familiar with the rivers, but I was eager to see it up close and personal and at my own speed.

When making my appointment with Michael Gowan, I was given my instructions: wear sunscreen-does my SPF 15 makeup count?, bring a water bottle-which I forgot, and wear shoes you can get wet-I wore old sneakers then saw everyone else in flip-flops.

Upon arrival at Southeast Adventures dock in Brunswick I was fitted for a life jacket and given a large paddle with instructions to always keep the writing up-the little girl in my group was given a much cuter paddle with smiley faces on it. After learning how to paddle backwards and forwards we were told what to do if we fell in-luckily no one did. Next we went down to the dock to learn how to get into the boat and how to use the steering mechanism in the bottom of the kayak with our feet. I have to mention now the two guides that helped us out. Michael, a full-time youth pastor/part-time guide and Luke, a full-time guide/part-time musician were exactly how river guides should be: low-keyed, personable and very knowledgeable about the river and its habitat.

We learned that alligators need fresh water to survive and that the river that we were in was pure salt water so they are never spotted. I was especially interested in this fact because I have seen my share of alligators in the Frederica River from our own boat. We also witnessed the shore birds returning after their winter retreat. Luke told us that they build their nests during a full moon in high tide so that they will not get wet when the tides go in and out. They even build decoys nests around them to fool their enemies. Smart birds.

The feeling on the water was amazing. Any worries you might have about the new president, the economy or your own life become trivial among the peacefulness of the river. The really cool thing about kayaking is that if you want you can just stop and observe. There are no rules, no schedules to keep, just you and nature. It is back to basics in its most basic form. Kayaking is a great way to center yourself and let yourself slow down to the rhythm of the river.

After an hour or so on the river we made our way back to the dock. I only had one last fear: getting out of the boat at the dock. In my mind I saw myself falling into the river and having to use the falling into the water instructions. All fears were gone when Luke, who was already on the dock, took my paddle and pulled my boat right up onto the dock. All I had to do was step out on the dock with my dignity intact.

The trip was over and we had to return to everyday life. We gave back our borrowed gear and made our way back to the boathouse. I thanked the guides and headed back to my car but not before grabbing a trip brochure to share with my family. I can’t wait to take the Hendrix family out on the river in kayaks to experience where we live in a more personal way. Those of us who live in the Golden Isles are so blessed to live here and to be able to experience God’s handiwork first hand.

Karen Hendrix

No comments: